DMV Guide

My-DMV Landing Page

Every state has a DMV (except Hawaii) but they don’t necessarily call it the Department of Motor Vehicles. In Texas it’s the Department of Public Safety, in Florida it’s Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Ohio call it the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

In addition to using various names for the department, each state names the forms differently so start by choosing your state from the map. Once you are on the page for the correct state, check the Express Lane for the most frequent tasks.  If what you are looking for is not there, pick a general topic in the drop down menus. Last but not least, you can use our search box or look in the Site Map.

Interactive Map

Once you have found your state, the correct names will be used. In Florida you register your car at the county Tax Collector but get your Drivers License at the HSMV office.

New drivers get a Learners Permit in some states but in others it’s a Temporary Permit or Practice License. Most states now have Probationary Provisions often called Teen Licenses or Graduated Licenses.

Most states require a minimum amount of supervised driving for a first license. Some require parents to sign a log book. Each state has different requirements and terms; all are covered in  In Georgia it even has its own name: Joshua’s Law.

Commercial Drivers Licenses are probably the most uniform since the adoption of the US Code. Each state issues 3 interstate CDL Licenses which are standardized nationwide.

Road signs have also been standardized for many years but each state also has specialty signs. Florida has Panther Crossings but no Golden Bears. Colorado has avalanche warning signs but no Hurricane Evacuation Routes.  You probably won’t find a runaway truck ramp in Kansas but they are frequent in California and other mountain states. Nevada is covered with Open Range signs but New York doesn’t have one! It doesn’t matter which state, the signs are covered in the Practice Tests for First Time Drivers.

Many states require emission testing for cars. Some require it state wide, others only in certain metropolitan areas. Some states like Ohio have dropped it altogether.  You will find the details for your state in the SMOG & Emission Testing section.

If it is related to the DMV office, we try to cover it in this section. If you don’t see what you need, check the site map or search box. If we have made your search confusing or forgotten something, please tell us so we can update the site.

Thank you for visiting my-DMV

Select A State: